Thursday, December 16, 2010

Saying Goodbye

Well folks, I'm not a Peace Corps Volunteer anymore as of tomorrow. Moving out of village was really difficult, even if I'm ready to move on with my life. The whole week was full of people just talking about how I was leaving... It made conversation a bit difficult. I went around to everyone's compound to say goodbye, and a few old ladies just burst into tears when I told them. It was nice in a way, to feel loved, but goodbyes are really not fun and a whole week that is only goodbye is rough.

The night before I left all the groups I'd been working with came to my house and gave speeches about me and gave me presents. I've never had so many African clothes in my life! I felt like they all really appreciated having me around these past two years. It was a nice way to wrap things up and see everyone I wanted to see one last time. Mom and Dad, you weren't forgotten in the gift giving frenzy. I've got plenty of goodies for you too.

And then, in the morning, a few of my friends came over to wait for the car (which Peace Corps forgot to send, ahem...). When it arrived, it was sudden and tons of people came out of nowhere into my compound, whisked all my things into the truck in about 2 minutes, and then I was ready to go. And I cried. And other people cried.

In Gambia, you always shake hands with your right hand. The left hand is for things of a more personal nature... But for a final goodbye, you shake with the left. I guess it's to guarantee that you'll see each other again when you come back to fix the mistake. This goodbye was rough, knowing that there's a chance that I'll be back here, but no guarantee.

Here are some things I'm going to miss about The Gambia:

- How friendly everyone is. Okay, sometimes it's to the point of obnoxiousness, but usually it's great to feel so genuinely welcomed.
- Special priveleges. Reverse racism is a nice thing when you can cut the line and always get a chair.
- Being told I'm beautiful one zillion times a day. I'm also NOT going to miss this since it usually comes from guys I really don't want to talk to, but I've never felt more confident than I do here. No body issues in this country.
- Bright colors. Clothing, sky, rice fields
- Really appreciating a cold drink. REALLY.
- Friends, coworkers & my second family and Jatta Kunda. The people here have been truly amazing and I hope they can continue to work toward the greater good.

Okay, there's lots of stuff I'm goign to miss honestly. I can't possibly name it all. Freedom to work or not work, swimming pools, the beach any time... Come on! I'm looking forward to the luxuries of the first world and the challenges of school and work, but I'm leaving a lot behind here.

Fo Silo Kotenke
(Until Another Journey)

1 comment:

brell said...

Hey, it's really great that you went to Gambia for PCorps... one of my college friends did that in Togo, another Very Small African Country.

Reading about your experiences there was really page turning! (scrolling)... I did some rice paddy planting with my students in Japan but we had far more conveniences than any African country, certainly including Gambia.

Makes me wish I'd done ag in Peace Corps way back when. More settled now but that can always change. Got here from random fb surfing. (via Lillian)

Good luck to you and your man in Stateside!

Disclaimer

The views expressed in this blog in no way reflect the attitudes of the United States Peace Corps.